Who should I consult for my health problem?

Within the modern NHS there are many teams working to provide the most appropriate care for you. We recognise that GP appointments are particularly scarce nationally, and we all need to use them responsibly. Whilst hard work goes on to address this, here are a variety of local services that may be more appropriate than your GP for many conditions.

Life threatening conditions – 999

Don’t forget: always dial 999 for life threatening conditions such as:

  • severe chest pain
  • severe difficulty breathing
  • unconsciousness
  • severe loss of blood
  • severe burns and scalds
  • choking
  • suspected stroke
  • fitting or concussion
  • severe allergic reactions
  • suspected sepsis / overwhelming infection

Minor Injuries Unit (MIU) – Paulton Hospital

Open 8am to 7pm, daily.

The MIU team comprises highly trained emergency nurse practitioners, paramedics, nurses, and associate practitioners, all with experienced clinical and diagnostic skills.

Suitable for example:

  • sprains and strains; cuts and grazes; arm, lower leg and foot injuries
  • bites – human, animal
  • minor burns and scalds
  • minor head injuries
  • broken noses and nosebleeds
  • eye problems such as scratches, foreign bodies in the eyes

MIU will also now see & treat patients with sore throat and uncomplicated urinary tract infections in patients under 65.

For more information, please visit Paulton Minor Injuries Unit – Bath and North East Somerset – Community Health and Care Services

CUES eye service

People across Bath, North East Somerset, Swindon and Wiltshire can access urgent eyecare, free of charge and close to home by calling 0300 303 4922 Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm

  • CUES is available to patients presenting with a recent onset urgent eye problem such as a painful eye, foreign body, sudden change in vision, or sudden onset of flashes and floaters which may suggest retinal detachment.
  • CUES is available to patients of any age with a GP in BaNES, Swindon or Wiltshire.
  • patients with non-urgent or longstanding symptoms are not eligible for CUES.

Mental health problems

Try the BANES Psychological Therapies Service

For example anxiety, stress and depression. Initial contact is via phone. This can be accessed directly by patients > 18 years on a self referral basis.

01225 675150

BaNES Talking Therapies :: Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust (awp.nhs.uk)

You can access the local BANES Talking Therapies service directly without any GP referral. This provides a range of services from CBT courses online to individual counselling

01225 675150


Local pharmacist – Minor ailments and conditions

Your local pharmacy team have a wealth of experience and knowledge in managing a range of conditions, for example:

  • coughs, colds, ear-aches, sore throats, blocked nose
  • teething and nappy rash
  • threadworms
  • hay fever
  • cold sores and mouth ulcers
  • athlete’s foot
  • diarrhoea
  • skin rashes, impetigo
  • eye infections
  • thrush

111 Service

An urgent triage and advice service with signposting for symptoms – available 24 hours, 7 days a week. 111.nhs.uk

Out of hours – 111 / Urgent Treatment Centre – Royal United Hospital Bath

Urgent treatment centres (UTCs) are GP-led, open at least 12 hours a day, every day, offer appointments that can be booked through 111 or through a GP referral, and are equipped to diagnose and deal with many of the most common ailments people attend A&E for.

To find out if a visit to the UTC is appropriate or to access the out of hours GP service, please call 111.

Sexual health

For information and advice on: free condoms (C-card); contraception; emergency contraception; sexually transmitted infections (STIs); pregnancy; sexual & gender identity; relationships and sexual abuse – see https://www.safebanes.com/

You can book directly for sexual infection screening at Riverside Clinic in Bath. Please phone their Sexual Health Appointment Line on 01225 826855 8:30am to 1pm, Monday to Thursday and 8:30am to midday on Friday. https://www.ruh.nhs.uk/sexualhealth/index.asp

Dental problems

Your GP surgery is not able to deal with dental problems – these should be directed to your dentist.

If you have having problems accessing a dentist the NHS 111 service should be able to help you.


Patients are able to self refer to the physiotherapy department at Paulton, using the physiotherapy self referral form (PDF)

Within the GP surgery

We have a range of clinicians including GPs, physician associates, practice nurses, healthcare assistants, pharmacists and a physiotherapist.

For administrative issues please discuss directly with our admin team.

Your reception team should help you to navigate the most appropriate appointment available.

Please do not contact your GP directly using their email address. If you need to email for reasons other than medical, please use our official email address: bswicb.st-chads@nhs.net

Complex / long term conditions

We particularly encourage you to see your registered / usual GP if possible for ongoing problems. We recognise that continuity is difficult to achieve but also provides more efficient, effective care and is appreciated by patient and Dr alike. Please view our Dr’s availability before booking an appointment.